Generally, light-gauge sheet metals provide an efficient means to protect the buildingive covering of all varieties offer an efficient use of material (s provide the opportunity for maximum design flexibility and the possibility for daring or pragmatic solutions while also solving multiple problems relating to economic, ecological, and durability issues. While pros and cons for all materials exist, metals often deliver the best combination of properties for your roof or facade applications. Metals offer many advantages:
- color natural aesthetics, hundreds of RAL color options, super-efficient paint application
- crafted traditional-metal detailing options as an alternative to modern “cut & caulk” practices
- considerate optimized for weight, metal utilization, panel dimensions, bio-content, reuse, recycling
Which metal for your current application? … that depends on your expectations:
- Durability / Service Life 20, 40, 60, 80, 100 years?
- Aesthetics / color options metallic, solid/variegated, grey,
- Carbon footprint / eco-issues embodied energy
- Mechanical properties yield strength is often more important than tensile strength!
- Panel Profile / system assembly panel dimensions, flatness/ oil-canning tolerance,
- Economics/ First Cost pay now, pay later
Why pre-painted steel?
Pre-painted steel is a superb cladding material when you consider its high strength-to-weight ratio, low rate of expansion, low maintenance and relative low material cost. Available in a wide range of strengths (soft to full hard), color-coated steel can satisfy the budget while providing the design team greater flexibility.
photos © SSAB, © Isaiah Industries, & © e-Roof, inc. All Rights Reserved.